Ozone is 3 molecules of oxygen holding hands in the form of a gas. It has been used in medicine and dentistry, as well as other industries, for over 100 years. It is naturally found in nature, right after a thunderstorm for example. It acts as a natural air filter to clean up the air we breathe.
In our Los Angeles dental office, we use an ozone machine to produce the ozone gas or ozonated water. Ozone kills any viruses, bacteria, fungi, or parasites at instant contact. The oxygen molecule breaks up the membranes of these harmful pathogens, without damaging our own cells because of our antioxidant capacity.
Water treatment research in Europe found that one molecule of Ozone has the power of more than 3,000 molecules of chlorine against different bacteria. It demonstrated that ozone killed pathogenic or disease-causing organisms 3,500 times faster with no toxic side effects. Hundreds of medical ozone studies have demonstrated benefits such as improved wound healing and an accelerated immune system response.
Although ozone has been around since the turn-of-the-century, it fell out of favor with the invention of antibiotics. Now, because we are becoming resistant to these antibiotics, and we see the side effects due to their overuse, ozone is making a big comeback.
Our Los Angeles dental office uses Ozone routinely, in the form of gas or ozonated water, for different reasons:
- To disinfect the mouth via rinsing with ozonated water as a pre-treatment rinse before surgery
- We put ozonated water in the water supply bottles of the handpieces to keep them bacteria free
- All of our hygiene visits are done with ozone gas to treat gingival inflammation and reverse cavities
- In the treatment of abscesses with ozone injections, which work better than any antibiotic I could prescribe
- For treatment of dental hypersensitivity
- For treatment of oral ulcers and root canals
- To disinfect the air in our office, from the aerosols caused by the dental drill